Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A day off

I'm off school today to take Elvis to a neurologist appointment. It was at 9:00. We had to leave home by 7:15 to get there, even though it's supposed to be about a 50 minute drive. Morning traffic stinks.

We were in and out of the appointment in about 40 minutes. Gotta love that. I enjoy the waiting room there. It's a group of parents (well, grandparent in my case) who all have something in common - a kid they love that just happens to have some sort of neurological deficit. Though their disabilities may vary, we're all in the same boat. We all enjoyed the handsome teen boy (with autism, I'd guess) who doesn't speak a word but sang beautifully. When his caretaker (she just said she wasn't his mom but she'd been taking care of him for many years) asked him if he was ready to get something to eat, he replied with a huge grin and nodded his head enthusiastically. The other family in the waiting room with us was a dad there with his son. I'd guess the little guy to be about 7 or 8. He was wearing a Superman shirt and carrying a well-loved baby doll. In most settings, that would be odd. There in our little private world, no one thought anything of it.

Sometimes I wish the real world was more like our little private waiting room world...a place where every one gets along and accepts others for the unique things they have to offer.

After the appointment, we went to lunch at Golden Corral. We don't have one at home and I hadn't eaten there in years, so stopping at this one was a treat. We were the first customers there and several of the female employees stopped to flirt with Elvis. He tends to have that effect on women.

We were back home a little after noon. Alli's gone off to her room. Elvis (who napped in the van on the way home) is lying on my bed watching a movie. I'm enjoying the peace of not being in kindergarten at this time of year. (Kindy gets a little wild during the last weeks before summer.) All in all, it's been a good day...except that we heard this song FOUR times and this song THREE times in the van this morning on the same radio station. Give 'em a break, people!

2 comments:

EasterApril said...

I hear "Boom Boom Pow" at least once a day from my students. Gotta love autistic kids who hum!!!! Glad to have you back posting again. Btw, I FINALLY started reading the first Twilight book and I love it!! Leesa

Jane said...

Ahhh, I've created another Twilight addict. I swear it's almost as bad as crack.

I'm currently re-reading the series. I'm about half-way through the 4th book. It's just as good, if not even better, the 2nd time through. *sigh*