Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Duh...

I forgot to include the outcomes of the neurologist visit in the last post.

#1 He's outgrown his current dose of seizure meds, as evidenced by the fact that he had 4 seizures in April. (He usually averages less than 1 a month.) So we kept one med the same and increased the other by .5 mls twice a day. Seems like a tiny increase to me but he says we shouldn't even average 1 seizure a month with this new dose. Sounds good to me. His seizures still scare me to death.

#2 I told the doctor to go ahead and refer Elvis for the surgery consult for the Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy. It's been a year since the neurologist first suggested it. It's time to, at least, meet with the local doctor who performs this surgery and see how he compares to the out-of-state doctor who invented the procedure. Bottom line: Elvis' insurance will cover the local doc but not the far away one. If we like the guy and he thinks the surgery would be in Elvis' best interest, I guess we'll schedule the surgery.

#3 The doctor filled out the paperwork for Elvis' school special ed certification. I'll drop it off at school tomorrow and we'll get down to scheduling his IEP. Yuck. I hate those meetings.

1 comment:

Mongoose said...

Good to see you again! I'm glad Elvis is well and hope the new dose does the trick. Good luck with the IEP meeting. I hope everyone else is doing ok.