Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Proof

It's been almost a year since I adopted Beth. Because she was so old (16) when I adopted her, I get adoption assistance for her (a small amount of money each month and she continued on our state's version of Medicaid). Since she still has the stinky state insurance, I use the money to pay for her counseling - thus getting her a good therapist, not just someone stupid enough to get involved with the state insurance problem.

Anyway, I got a letter in the mail telling me it's time to renew the adoption assistance agreement. I swear they try to make this as difficult as possible on everyone involved. Do they get paid more for using big words? Here's the letter attached to the paperwork:

Dear ME,
enclosed are the new Adoption Assistance Affidavit forms for the above
named child(ren) and also an Adoption Assistance Renewal Affidavit Memorandum
regarding the new Renewal procedures. The notarized Renewal Affidavits
must be returned to this office by October xx, 2007. You may keep one copy
of the notarixed Affidavit for your files.

NOTE: Even though the deadline for submitting the forms is
10/xx/2007, the Affidavits and documentation should be submitted as soon as
possbile in the case additional documentation is required.

The Adoption Assistance Renewal Affidavits are full of legal mumbo-jumbo but I do think I can figure them out. I have to find a notary which ticks me off because I never know where to find one. You'd think that DCS who has people fill out hundreds of forms like this would have a notarty on staff but they don't.

My bigger gripe is the "documentation" they want. The exact statement, taken directly from the Adoption Assistance Renewal Affidavit Memorandum, is: "Families who receive a regular Adoption Assistance rate must attach proof that their child currently resides in the family home. That proof may come in the form of a grade card report or other verification of the child's location." First, I can't use the report card since we won't get them until after the date I have to turn these forms in. What in the world is "verification of the child's location?" Should I take a picture of her in her bed? Sitting on the front porch? How do you verify the location of a 17 year old girl? GPS tracking? At least two DCS employees are in my home every month. Can they not vouch for the fact that she's still here? One of the other kids suggested I cut off Beth's ear or finger and mail that in as proof. While I would enjoy seeing the face of the "DCS Adoption Assistance Designee" when she opened the bloody envelope and out fell a severed body part, I just don't think I'll go that far.

Grrrr! Just one more annoyance I have to deal with, thanks to "The System." But, Beth is worth it, so we'll find someway to verify her location and be thankful we'll just have to do this one more time.

No comments: