Sunday, December 30, 2007

The official end of the Christmas season

We made our 4 hour round trip to my mom's family Christmas event yesterday. This was our last holiday event. It was a nice day, other than it being so far away. The people were friendly. One cousin had a new baby for us to snuggle. Plenty to do there (real arcade games, pool table, and lots of good food).

For the first time ever, I didn't have a grandparent there. My grandfather died about 10 years ago, but my grandmother has always been there. However, she wasn't physically up to the trip this year. She lives in an old-people condo an hour or so from where we were getting together and she just couldn't do it. She's pushing 90 so I understand. It just feels like losing another little piece of my childhood.

Who knows what today holds. Alli complained last night of "pressure" in her lower stomach. I offered to take her to the ER but she didn't want to go. If it's still there when she gets up today, I AM taking her. If Alli is feeling well today, Beth and Cori have her day planned. They are armed with Christmas cash and gift cards and have a list of places they want her to take them to blow it. My plans today involve watching 4 hours of The Gilmore Girls that I rented from Netflix. I just discovered this series on cable and love it. I'm attempting to see all the episodes in order. Today is season 1, disc 4.

My break from school is almost over. I go back on Wednesday for an administrative day and the kids come back on Thursday - whether I'm ready or not. (Truthfully, I'm ready to be back on a little more structured routine. I've enjoyed the days of hanging out but function better when I know what the plan for the day/week/month is.)

No comments: