Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Good grief! It's only Tuesday!

It really should be, at least, Thursday. I can't believe we've only had two week days so far this week. I'm exhausted.

I'm still sick. I don't know what I have. I'm congested and coughing. My throat is killing me. I'm a little wheezy. My mother insists I should stay home so I don't infect my class. Where does she think I got it??? They shared with me. I'll share with them. Seriously, I don't have a fever so I don't know that I'm contagious. I've missed so much with Alli and Blair that I hate to stay home. I had a few students out sick today and had a couple more who looked like they were about to drop so I may have an easy day or two with low attendance headed my way. I think I've earned them.

Even more, I think I've earned a snow day. It's cold with snow flurries here right now. They don't think it will stick but I'm hopeful. There's no better way to break up the week than to have Wednesday off.

Beth's English teacher called me at school Monday. (Yes, the same one that called me last Thursday.) Yes, she completed 3 missing assignments over the weekend and turned them in but, she was still missing an 800-word research paper. She hadn't even turned in her notes and source cards. And, he'd given them 5 days to work on them in class. She'd talked those days instead of working, of course. I just don't know where that girl's head is most days. If she turns in the paper by this Friday (TWO FULL WEEKS AFTER THE DUE DATE) he'll give her some credit and she might pass. If she doesn't turn the paper in, she will not pass. This attitude stumps me. How in the world will she make it in the real world? Maybe I'd better start having her practice saying, "Do you want fries with that?" because at this rate, she's going to saying it for the next 40 years.

Things are getting tense again with Alli. so tense that I can't even blog about it because it hurts my feelings so much. I went to counseling again tonight, in hopes she can help me get my thoughts together. I think I'm leaning towards asking her to move. She's using me. It's got to stop, one way or another. The counselor is going to meet with Alli and me together, hoping to help us talk through some of our...issues. She agrees that it will probably end with Alli moving. It will hurt horribly when it happens but there is the promise of relief in the future. I hope that will help.

Gee, my life may look totally different in a few months. Cori should be gone in a few weeks. Alli and Elvis might well take off in the same time-frame. Beth turns 18 in June and very well could take off at that point. My dog is dying. I could be alone in my house when school starts back in the fall. At this point, I think I'm okay with that.

No comments: