Sunday, February 24, 2008

Not enough common sense to make change for a dollar

Our school system has adopted a new dress code for next year. They aren't calling it a uniform. It's "standard school attire." In it's first form, it outlawed jeans but they watered it down before approving it and now the kids can wear jeans. Shirts have to be solid colored and have buttons (polo or dress shirts). The kicker for the kids is that the shirts have to be tucked in and belts must be worn. I understand that this isn't "cool" but it's required so deal with it.

These words actually came out of Beth's mouth last night when discussing the new dress code with me and her best friend:

"I may not go back to school next year because I don't want to tuck my shirt in."

I can only imagine what my face looked like when she said this. I can't believe she is willing to go through life without a high school education just because she doesn't want to tuck in her shirt. Let's see...174 days of tucking in your shirt or 40 YEARS of working at a fast food restaurant because you have no diploma? Is that really a difficult decision? To top it off, this kid will wear a hoodie over the tucked in shirt about 150 of those days. She's always cold and has a collection of hoodies bought from the school with the logo on them. (From what we can tell, unaltered school-sponsored shirts are still allowed.)

All she hears and processes is "they are making me tuck my shirt in." She isn't able to see the big picture and what this will mean for her down the road. She turns 18 over the summer. She will have that choice. That scares me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I've just discovered your blog and really enjoy your writing. I also enjoy reading about what it's like to adopt and foster older-age kids. That's something I'm considering doing (my husband and I don't have any children at all, and this would be a major step in 1) parenting and 2) dealing with special needs.

As far as the notion of Beth quitting school - this is obviously tough. BUT, I had to chuckle a little as I thought back to my own life. Even when I was 18, (or 19, 20, 21 ...) my parents would not REALLY allow me to make my own choices, no matter what the law said. With the combined force of their voiced expectations, repercussions at home, guilting me, shaming me, cajoling me, helping me, and other tools of the parental trade, they could basically force me to stay in school one day at a time. I'll bet you have this same parental force, so don't think Beth will be able to make her choice so easily (or so autonomously)!

- April in RI