Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Easter Bunny didn't hop this way

I've giving myself a pity party. I'm in a terrible mood. I'm tired of being hurt and used by my children. I've taken to hiding in my room, just to avoid them. It won't go on long, but, right now, I need this time off.

I started priming the hall bathroom yesterday but got mad because no one was helping. So, I just went to my room and shut my door. (My door is never shut.) I heard Beth go and work on the painting some but I stayed in my room and took a nap. She texted me and asked if I was okay. By the presence of her friend's car in our driveway, I knew she was really just sucking up before asking if she could go out. I just told her to go on. She did, very proudly tell me that she was "almost finished" priming the bathroom.

After she left, I went to finish priming. She'd done one wall but that was one wall I didn't have to do. I finished priming the bathroom before retreating to my room again to watch the Sound of Music on TV. I own it on VHS but haven't seen the whole thing in years. I enjoyed my solitary evening. Alli, Elvis, and Cori all drifted into the house as the evening went on. Cori checked on me. The others ignored me.

Thinking back over the last year of holidays, the kids have given me something exactly ONCE. Last year on Mother's Day, Alli got me a card and Hershey bar. (She bought them from the store she worked at as she got off on Mother's Day. I know this because she left the receipt in the bag when she gave them to me. She did sign the card with her name and all the other kids' names.) I know they don't have a lot of money. But they have enough to do what they want to do. I'm not expecting diamonds or expensive electronics. A card would make me perfectly happy. In the last year, I've given them birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, Easter baskets, and Valentine's bags of goodies. Am I asking too much for a card for my birthday or Christmas? Even a comment on myspace would better than nothing. Those are free! I think I'd even feel better if they had just thanked me for something. On Valentine's Day, the only ones who thanked me for their bags were Cori and Boy Wonder - the two who should be the least likely to thank me.

As a result of my pity party, I decided to have the Easter Bunny skip our house this year. I feel totally childish for it (and really guilty) but I'm done. If I continue giving without expecting even common courtesy in response, I've done nothing to make things better. It just makes me angrier. I know they are teens and some of this is to be expected. However, it's gone beyond a typical teen being self-centered. My feelings count, too. The worst part is, I've already bought everything for their baskets. I should have decided to stand up for myself earlier!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter! This day is a gift to the world, and since you are always giving your gifts to other people, I would like to offer a gift: some delicious Easter candy. But, since I can't do that in cyberspace, I would like to give you permission to enjoy some of the Easter candy you already bought for everyone else! If you got any chocolate eggs, those are from me. The Cadbury creme or caramel eggs are too. So are the jellybeans, except for all the flavors you don't like.

BTW, I almost watched the Sound of Music last night, but decided on the Ten Commandments instead. I think I fell asleep after 3 hours ...

- April

Jane said...

LOL! Great idea! I love the Cadbury eggs and the Reese's eggs are my favorites!

Tudu said...

It sounds like you need to go on strike. I have doen this twice, once years ago with my teens and once with these kids. It works and it is fun for Mom. DO nothing for them. Cook nothing for them order your favorites in (have fixings for PB and Js and carrots sticks for them), no laundry, all lights our when YOU go to bed (hit the breakers so no TV or phones for them), do not allow them to use your car, do not give permission to go (so they can't), so basically EVERYTHING you do for them is stopped (be creative, act like you live alone and don't hear them, if they make noise talk to yourself about how could the radio turned on itself and just unplug it and put it up, refuse to help with Elvis, SHE is his mother not you and other fun things). It is best if you can hold out for 3 days, it changes things drastically. I make little comments about it now and they pull it together quick. It is a great way to spend you holiday!

Kimmah said...

if you have any of those Robin's eggs, you need to put them in my mailbox. I went and scavenged all the loose ones from the kids' baskets and now I'm seriously contemplating snagging Sam's tiny carton of them and replacing them tomorrow. I lurve the damned things.

The fact that Ali Selfish Pants didn't get her own son a chocolate bunny just speaks volumes about how far up her ass her head is. If you give her a basket, I will mock and jeer.

Jane said...

I gave NO ONE a basket. I did spend some time with Elvis tonight and fed him a couple of the Reese's eggs I'd bought for his basket. I haven't given any one else a single thing.

Sorry, no robin's eggs.