Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sick-of-it Day

Beth had counseling last night and barely 10 minutes into the session, I got called in. Beth was explaining to the counselor that she was worried about how would be keeping Elvis while Alli and Boy Wonder go to the beach to get married. (I'm not offering and I'm not willing to let Beth commit to it.) Alli says her friend is going to watch him. She's of interesting character but is a good mom. She'll be fine with Elvis for a couple of days and, she knows us well and knows she can call us in case of an emergency.

All of that to say, I ended up getting some counseling along with Beth last night and ended up having a weepy kind of evening. I can accept that Alli and BW are getting married. I'm having trouble accepting that we can't come to the wedding. That really hurts my feelings, more that I even let my let myself admit. If she'd just say "yes," I'd load Beth and Elvis into the van and head south. I'm even willing to stay out of their sight. We'd stay in a neighboring state, drive over for the ceremony, and then disappear again. I don't want to intrude. I just don't want my daughter's wedding witnessed by total strangers but not by anyone who loves her. It just doesn't seem right. I cried myself to sleep last night but didn't sleep well. I was awake often and don't know that I was ever really sound asleep.

I felt rough this morning when I got up for work. However, it was a teacher training day so it was a day without kids. I don't love those days but can usually endure them, especially knowing that spring break starts tomorrow. I was ready for work and went to wake Alli to take me to work. (Thursdays is Elvis' therapy day and she needs my van to get him there.) She said she decided not to take him because she just wanted to stay home today. In truth, I think she was avoiding being alone in the van with me after our awkward discussions about her wedding yesterday. I was beyond mad when I left for work. She didn't take him last week, either. He NEEDS this therapy. I started driving towards work and started crying. It didn't take me long to realize I was not going to be able to pull it together enough to function at work. I called in and took a sick day. Only in this case, it was more of a "sick-of-it" day.

I went to Lowe's and bought the tile and grout for the new bathroom. I went to a grocery and got the ingredients for French toast. I returned home at 8:00 AM, having spent $100 already. I woke Alli again and told her I was taking her and Elvis to therapy and to please be ready to leave by 9:30. She didn't argue. While she got ready, I cooked breakfast for all (me, Alli, Beth, Cori, Elvis, and Beth's friend who spent the night). We had a nice breakfast together and then I hit the road with my therapy crew, leaving a nice to-do list for the ones who stayed home.

The drive to therapy was a bit awkward. We were both trying to avoid discussing the wedding. We did ok. The day was nice. We came home (to a decently clean house) and picked up the others for a group Wal-Mart trip. We bought paint for two bathrooms and the laundry room. I'm not digging one of the bathroom paints and it may not be used. It looked tan in the store but rather "orangey" in the light of day. Money's tight but I'm not going to sweat it if I decide not to use it. I'd rather buy another one that I like than to have an orange bathroom for years.

There's a little peace in the house right now. Cori is spending two nights with her grandmothers! That makes me happy! Beth is spending the night with a friend. We dropped them both off after Wal-Mart. We came home and all was quiet. However, upon getting home, we realized that we'd forgotten to buy laundry detergent so Alli offered to go back if I'd watch Elvis. He's stretched on Beth's bed watching Stick It and laughing hysterically.

I'm debating what I want to do tonight. I wish I wanted to prime the hall bathroom. Then I could paint it tomorrow. However, I want to read a little more Harry Potter (I'm half way through book 4). Maybe I'll do a little of each? Or maybe I'll just finish the book!

No comments: