Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring (and spring break) have arrived!

Even though I was off today, spring break officially started tonight. It's not met with the joy an extended break from school usually is. We're usually so excited to have the pretty days and looking forward to our trip to the mountains. This year, that joy just isn't there. Granted, I'm looking forward to the time off work. However, there is no trip to the mountains this year. We've gone every year for a long time and this is one of my favorite vacations each year. Not going just doesn't feel right. The lack of a wedding invitation (to my daughter's wedding) casts another shadow on me. And, the sheer number of home improvement projects I need to accomplish during the next two weeks is another downer. It's all stuff I can do. It's also stuff I don't want to do. That's why it's all backed up and I'm so far behind.

We do have one night away planned. A foster parent friend from another state is driving through my town on her way to the beach. She's stopping here to spend the night on her way. So, tomorrow night, Beth and I are spending the night at a Comfort Inn out by the interstate. We'll be really close to home - still in the same zip code, but we'll be in a hotel and enjoying the company of friends we only see once a year. It's not much of a vacation but I'm looking forward to it! This year, it will have to do.

No comments: