Thursday, April 3, 2008

Cori's back in action

We've had a lull in the spontaneous vomiting. There have a been a couple of episodes but nothing on a regular basis. Her birthday has started this up again. It's not unusual for kids from foster care to struggle on holidays and special days. While most people have fun, pleasant memories from growing, kids in the system do not. They probably remember no presents, daddy getting drunk and beating mom (or them), or having the special day totally ignored.

The night before her birthday, Cori couldn't sleep. I heard up and rambling around many times during the night. She got up for good before 4:00 AM. She had counseling that day and came home in a decent mood but was unable to sit still or even complete many coherent thoughts in conversation. Then came the crushing news that her friend couldn't spend the night. (I have to admit I was soooo tempted to use this as an example for her. She goes to great lengths to prove herself different from the rest of society - cutting, revolving sexual orientation, drugs, etc. that parents and even some kids, are not going to feel comfortable with her around. However, I resisted that temptation as it would be kicking her when she's down and, goodness knows she's not going to get it anyway.) She pulled it together.

We ate out at a restaurant she chose. We went to Wal-Mart and she picked out the cheesecake she wanted. We got home and she put the candles in the cheesecake and then doubled over saying her stomach hurt. We sang and ate. She was fine but made a mad dash to the bathroom before long. She came out and ate more then dashed back to the bathroom. She couldn't sleep again that night. She was up and down, eating and vomiting. I know I shouldn't but I get so aggravated at stuff like this. To me, the answer is simple - STOP EATING. She doesn't get it. She's not physically ill. I can see the emotions on her face. This only happens at holidays or social gatherings. It's a pattern.

She was fine most of yesterday. She burned a lot of minutes on her new cell. She was helpful around the house. She started back up last night after I returned from the 1 hour trip to the trash can. Call me "Dr. Me" because I fixed the problem, for the night, anyway. I gave her two Benedryl capsules and sent her to bed at 9:00 PM. (Don't freak out. I have permission from her psychiatrist to give her this in the event she has trouble sleeping. I've just never done it.) After two nights of no sleep and two days of being so emotional, I decided it was time to let her sleep. She got up about 11:00 to get a drink last night but that was it. It's almost 9:00 in the morning now and I haven't heard a word from her.

I really need a vomit-free day.

No comments: