Monday, May 26, 2008

Good day

Our Memorial Day plans didn't go exactly as planned but, from my viewpoint, everyone had a good day. First, I had NONE of my kids present at our gathering. Alli and Elvis went with Boy Wonder to his mom's house. Beth was running around with her friend. She was in and out but didn't eat or play with us. Instead, I spent the day with friends and their families (plus my mom and nephew). We had a total of 13 people here most of the afternoon/evening plus Beth and her friend who came and went. The ages ranged from OLD (older than me, anyway) down to 7. A variety of special needs were represented. Everyone got along well.

Our original plan was swimming at 1:00 and grilling at 4:00. The weather didn't cooperate much. There was quite a bit of swimming until the thunderstorm hit us from no where. It was honestly sunny and bright one minute and dark and menacing the next. We piled everyone into the den and watched Nancy Drew on DVD. I would never have thought that would have gone as well as it did. Other than some impressive lightning and winds that knocked the power out 3 separate time, things went well. Sadly, it continued raining most of the rest of the evening. The kids did get to swim a bit more before leaving. The food was good. The company was pleasant. Great day!

I got to see Cori for a minute today, too. I was supposed to go to her foster mother's daughter's house and drop her stuff off. However, I kept putting it off, hoping the rain would stop. Finally, Cori called and asked if the foster mother's daughter-in-law could bring her by to get it. I said sure and they came right over. She took the stuff I'd packed and grabbed a few more things, too. There is still a lot here but she has what she really needs. I'll drive the rest over to her this week. She was sad but pleasant. After she got everything, she hugged me and told me she missed us. I assured her we missed her, too. I do hope we'll be allowed to stay in touch. She's part of my family in every way but legally.

I keep forgetting I have to work tomorrow. I can only remember one or two other times (since childhood) that we've gone to school after Memorial Day. Of course, it's just tomorrow and half a day Wednesday. I think I'll survive! I hope so, anyway.

No comments: