Saturday, May 17, 2008

Guess I should explain...

I got a phone call from my sister-in-law Monday morning that caused me great panic and I closed my blog for a few days, for lack of knowing what else to do. In the call, my SIL told me that the teachers at her school had received an email that morning saying that Cori was returning to school that day. That news did not panic me. It was her next sentence: "And, by the way, Cori has found your blog, printed it out, and is passing it around school telling everyone you have made up names for them and are telling bad stories about them on the internet."

That struck me hard. I honestly don't know how I made it on to school without having a stroke and wrecking the van. I've never taken any steps to hide my blog from my kids. I've just never told them about it. I stand by the information on it. I've taken steps to hide their true identities. The names are fake. The basic circumstances are there but I've left out anything involving details of specific types of abuse. My name isn't on here. My state isn't on here. Unless you know me in real life, I don't think you could identify me. If you do know me in real life, you probably already know my kids and, goodness knows, you aren't learning anything new on here. My kids are my kids. I love them, warts and all.

My bigger concern is anticipating the response from DCS on this. If Cori passed my blog around school (breaching her own confidentiality, I'd say) she's no doubt passed the information on to her worker. This would explain the odd circumstances under which she was removed. I'm expecting them to close my home. (It would also explain why Cori keeps texting Beth asking if Beth is still allowed to talk to her. Why would she ask that unless she thinks I'm angry because she's gotten me in "trouble?")

While I hate having this hanging over me, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I've been struggling with that decision for a few months now. Them making the call would just take the responsibility for making the decision off my shoulders. I've fostered a lot of kids in the last 10 years. I'm not perfect but I sure do my best with the kids. Confidentiality rules prevent me from sharing and venting to people in my real life. Venting anonymously on the internet has been a nice release for me. I still say I haven't violated anything with this blog. If DCS chooses to say I have, so be it. I won't argue or make a scene. I'll sign the paper and close my home - ready to see what the next phase of my life has in store for me.

So, I'm here. My blog is open. I'll keep you updated!

3 comments:

R and A said...

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Wow....
I hope everything is resolved soon!
Ashlea

Karen said...

I wondered what had happened. I've been reading your blog for quite awhile and have no idea what your name is, where you live or what brand of toilet paper you use :-)
What I do know is that you love your kids with all your heart. And then some. Karen

April said...

Same here, I have no idea where you live, who you are, or who your children are. I do know that I enjoy reading about them, warts and all, and that you are one of the few bloggers who has adopted children whose blog I feel is really genuinely giving me an idea of what it will be like when my husband and I open our house. Maybe you can blog freely because you're so anonymous.

In any event, hang in there with any DCS fall-out. You've had a good home in my book, and I think they would be making a mistake to close your home. On the other hand, the universe may have something else in store for you!

- April in RI