Monday, June 16, 2008

Beth update

About an hour after our text exchanges about the rules and expectations last night, I got this text from Beth:

"(BFF) and them arent' going to the beach ne more. So i was gunna be gone this week ne ways. So i think i should be able to stay this week with her. I'll come home wen she's at work. How does that sound?"

(BFF and family had invited Beth to go to the beach with them. They'd have left today and come back Saturday. I had approved that trip but they had some things come up and can't go - BFF's grandmother had surgery and BFF's brother has a college registration thing.)

I didn't respond to that text and about an hour later I got THIS text:

"I'm going to sleep good night i love you. Just think about what i told you and i'll text you when i wake up. I love you."

Umm, WTH? Me - think about what she told me? I THINK NOT! She may be legally an adult but I must have missed the part where she's suddenly in charge.

It's going to be a looooong summer.

2 comments:

Kimmah said...

FWIW, in high school--especially the summer between junior and senior year--Sarah and I spent six out of seven nights w/ each other, easily. Our family rule was X night at home every week alone, no guests. Other than that, for the summer, we could pretty much have friends over or go there, etc.

Ask yourself why you're putting the limit on her time--is it for a specific reason or are you just doing it to put a rule on her?

Honestly, Heather seems nice and you like the gparents, so I'd probably figure out a way to let her 'earn' the additional time and make it a reward that she can get easily.

Choose the battles and make them count.

Jane said...

I've offered 3 nights a week with the friend here. I can't offer 3 nights a week of Beth there. That's the grandparents' place, not mine.

I guess I'm not totally sure she's at H's house. I can't figure out what the draw is. They pretty much have free reign here, as long as the basic house rules are followed.

She's just not doing a single thing here. Chores going undone. Room's a wreck. She's still a member of this family. Being a member has certain responsibilities and by her being gone so much, she's not meeting them.

Honestly, on the nights she sleeps here, she gets home at curfew and is often up and gone within 12 hours - usually less. Requiring her to spend the night here isn't helping but I do get to at least check in with her.