Monday, June 16, 2008

Expensive day around here

First, I took my dog to the vet this morning...my 13+ year old dog. He had some kind of "spell" Saturday - dizzy, walking towards the left, falling down, crashing into things/walls/cabinets. I was really worried about him and called the vet for an emergency appointment. While I ran to get my contacts in and teeth brushed, he threw up and was just fine. Boy Wonder was watching him and said after he puked, he just jumped up on the couch like normal. I called his name and had him hop down and walk to me. Sure enough, he was back to his really old self. So I called the vet back, cancelled the emergency appointment, and scheduled a regular appointment for today. I dreaded the visit, afraid they'd tell me it was time to "put him down." (I HATE that phrase.) However, the vet said he looked good, all things considered. She thinks he's in the beginning stages of heart disease but that she could just treat him for that, skipping the usual battery of really expensive tests. So, we left there armed with heart meds (twice a day), a diuretic (once a day), arthritis medicine (as needed), and a six-month supply of heart worm preventative. Total for the visit, vaccinations, and medications: $167.50 He's worth every penny to me.

I came home and picked up the rest of the crew (Alli, Boy Wonder, and Elvis) and we headed to the local home improvement store. The day had come to buy the fixtures for Alli and BW's bathroom. BW's father is going to do the installation for $16 an hour. I'm good with that. We bought a toilet, vanity, and sink/counter top. Grand total: $464.31

When we got home, we were sweaty and hungry. I offered to buy lunch specials from the Chinese restaurant after we unloaded the van. Grand total: $18.24

So, I've spent $650.05 today. Ouch. However, I think the payoff is well worth it. My beloved dog is fairly healthy and not near needing to be "put down." Alli and BW will soon have their own bathroom and the separation of our households will begin. And, plain lo mein and sweet and sour chicken was very, very good. I guess the day was worth the money. I'm just glad most days don't cost that much.

No comments: