Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The day after

I survived Alli's birthday-that-I-wasn't-allowed-to-be-a-part-of yesterday. She's 21 now. Big whoop. Anyway, the day wasn't anywhere near as hard on me as I had thought it might be.

Beth, Elvis, and I hung around the house for the morning. Our local library kicked off it's summer reading program with a mini-carnival yesterday afternoon. We loaded up and went to that. Most of the time there was spent waiting in line for balloon animals but it was well worth it. Those two men were creating the most awesome balloon animals I've ever seen. Elvis got a monkey on a palm tree. Beth chose a large pink rabbit and she got a frog for her friend. (We used all of Elvis' free tickets on the balloon critters but that was okay because he couldn't actually do the other games there.) And, he LOVED his monkey/palm tree balloon. The balloon guy...artist...whatever you call grown men who make those things, did a great job, even modifying Elvis' to leave a long balloon piece that he could hold onto well.

After the carnival, we needed to buy gas and pick up Beth and Alli's cousin (Cousin It) and take her to work. Her father was in the hospital and her sister is less than reliable in transporting Cousin It. It's always fun to check in with this young lady so I was glad to help her out.

After that adventure, we took Elvis to get a hair cut at our local mall. He was past due for one and looking a lot shabby. Beth and I both told the stylist to just trim a little. We didn't want it too short or to look "buzzed." She didn't use the clippers but managed to make it looked buzzed, anyway. We kept saying stop and she kept saying I can still see my scissor marks. So, Elvis' hair is too short. I think it looks fine but Alli will be pissed when she sees it. So what? She should have gotten it cut herself. He definitely looks better than he did.

We came home and had friends over to swim and grill. That was a nice way to end our evening. Beth actually was home last night without a friend and it was nice to catch up with her a little, too.

We have no plans today. Elvis and I have been up for hours. Beth is still sound asleep. Elvis had strawberry waffles for breakfast and I had leftover bratwurst and macaroni salad. He's watching a favorite movie and I'm goofing off online. There's plenty to do - grocery shopping, cleaning the kitchen, laundry - but it will wait for a bit. Right now, I'm just enjoying having a little time to myself.

No comments: