Thursday, June 26, 2008

Well, Thursday's over

I guess that's good. Actually, it was a good day. Alli and I got Elvis to his therapy appointments. We left at 9:30 AM for that and got home about 2:00 PM. It's a long haul. We tried to order lunch specials from the local Chinese place for lunch (obviously) but their phone was busy. I'm guessing it was off the hook, as we kept trying for almost 30 minutes. Instead, we came home (Chinese-less) and had sandwiches for our late lunch. Not quite the same.

Elvis got his communication device at therapy today. I haven't had time to play with it yet but I think he's going to love it. I'll try to get pictures of it and his new wheelchair and share them with you soon. Technology is pretty darn awesome these days.

Beth texted me as we were almost home and told me she was "dieing" (her word) her hair. I usually don't strictly police what my high school age girls do with their hair. I mean, it's only hair and it will grow back, fade, or can be shaved. However, her appointment for her senior pictures is in a couple of weeks. I asked what color she was "dieing" her hair and she said, "Light blond...just a little lighter than my natural color." This concerned me because her natural medium blond hair has been "died" medium brown. I feared the light blond would combine with the medium brown to create a hideous shade of orange. I'm not really up on hair coloring matters as I've never colored my hair. I had Alli call her and try to talk her out of it until after her pictures, just in case. Alli talked to her a minute and said, "Too late. It's already on her hair." She came home later when BFF went to work. Her hair wasn't as bad as I'd feared but both Boy Wonder and I think "orange" is the color it actually is. Alli and Beth call it blond but I'm not buying it. It's not carrot-orange but definitely has an orange tint to it. Once again, Little Miss No Impulse Control will have to live with the consequences of her actions. Maybe we can find an outfit for her pictures that will make her hair look less orange? Maybe we'll look at her finished pictures and call her a confused (orange hair, not skin) Oompa-Loompa for the rest of her life? Time will tell. I just keep reminding myself that it could be worse. She showed my the box from the hair coloring she used. It was labeled, "Ultra-Light Blond." Her hair could have turned out the color displayed on the box. Then she'd have Marilyn Monroe hair.

I braved our newly remodeled Wal-Mart today. I hate that place under the best of circumstances but with construction going on, I've avoided it for almost a month. Beth needed a little more hair "die" because she missed a spot by each temple. I needed a couple of things, too, so we went for a quick trip. The construction appears to be almost complete, but everything is in a new place. The pharmacy is temporarily located in a plywood box inside the front doors - Seriously! Makes me glad I don't work there.

I ran into my kindergarten teacher today at Aldi. I was just thinking about her the other day. I was so shocked when she called my name in the store. It was nice to see her and catch up. Not only was she my teacher when I was five, but she also helped me get my first job when I graduated from college. We worked together for a few years at that point. She's a neat lady. I was glad to see she is still able to get out and about.

My mom is still in Brazil and I miss her. I don't usually see her every day. However, I miss knowing I can just pick up the phone or drop by her house to see her. Beth and I've been watering Mom's flowers. I have the opposite of a green thumb. (A black thumb, maybe?) She must have seriously been out of options to put me in charge of watering her beloved flower gardens. Even I had to laugh at her directions (TWO pages). She even included specific instructions for me to assess whether or not certain plants needed to be watered on certain days. ("Stick one finger in the dirt in the pot. Pull your finger out. If there is dirt on your finger, do NOT water. If there is no dirt on your finger, water the plant." Thanks, Mom.) I go back tomorrow for what I hope is the last time. She'll be home late Sunday. I'll be glad to hand that responsibility back over to her.

No comments: