Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tomorrow's day 3

I've survived two full days with my whole class. The number of my students keeps jumping up and down but we are hanging in there and trying to get into some type of routine. I started my day Monday with 23 students. Fifteen minutes into my day, I discover I'm down two boys. One moved to another county (I knew he was moving soon) and another moved to a different classroom (don't know why, don't care why - one less kid I had to keep up with). By the end of the day, I was told I had a new student starting today. So, I'm holding at 22 students right now. Another is planning to move out of state but it may not be until some time in September.

I really don't have a good feel for what kind of class I have yet. These days are strictly survival. If I get them all home the right way and alive, I consider the day a success. I have several students with assorted issues. It's hard to address those issues with 21 other kids in the room. It will take a little longer but we'll get it done.

Beth, Elvis, and I braved Wal-Mart this afternoon. We needed a few things that couldn't be gotten elsewhere. "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" was on again tonight so Beth and I had planned our evening around that. We picked up P'zones from Pizza Hut on our way home and settled into our appointed seats to watch tonight's episode. I'm loving having this little routine with her! It's been quite a while since we've had something like this to share.

BFF's brother is still in jail. They charged him with 40 separate counts, many of them felonies. His bond was set way too high for his grandparents to afford. (Plus, they think since he did the crimes, he needs to hang out there a bit longer and let him see what can happen if he continues with this wild lifestyle.) I'm still so sad for them all. BFF is truly distraught. She's also embarrassed. Embarrassed enough that she's changing schools. I hate that for her. This is her senior year. She shouldn't have to do that. My heart just breaks for their grandparents. They have raised these kids well and taught them right from wrong. He just chose to take the wrong path with the wrong friends.

No comments: