Thursday, August 21, 2008

Twice in two days

Beth's school has called me twice in the last two days. Yesterday, her English teacher called to tell me she'd given her a detention for eating in class. She also said Beth had "gotten smart" with her. (I know this teacher. She wouldn't know "smart" if it bit her on the butt. I did NOT share my opinion with Beth, though.) Today's call was from the attendance clerk but it was regarding Beth's behavior yesterday afternoon with a substitute teacher. She got another detention because the sub reported that Beth was "unruly." I'm sure she was a little frisky with the sub. The other kids probably laughed and that egged her on. My greatest fear is that Beth will give up on school. There's nothing I can do about this. She's 18 and knows it all. I just hate thinking about how hard her life is going to be anyway with her impulse control issues. Add lack of education to that and she's destined to be like her bio father - a raging alcoholic because he self-medicates with alcohol to cope with the world.

Alli completed the process to be certified to substitute teach in our county today. I don't know that she's cut out for it but at least she's doing something. She's been doing nothing for months now. She's really excited. When I reminded her that she really doesn't like kids she said she's just so happy to be doing something. It's worth a shot, I guess. We are always short on subs. Sometimes the people they use as subs can barely be considered human beings. Alli can do this if she puts some effort into it. If not, they won't call her. I guess it's up to her. And, yes, that statement applies to everything in her life. It's just so hard to watch sometimes...a lot of times lately.

My class is experiencing some bumps along the way but we are slowly getting into the routine. I still have 22 students but was told today that number 23 will be starting on Monday. I have 5 boys who I'd consider to be extreme behavior challenges. I've got to get them under control before we can move on. (One of them has actually growled and lunged at me a couple of times when things didn't go his way.) I think the others will quickly fall in line.

I'm sooooo glad the weekend is almost here. I forget every year how hard this first full week is. With so many kids, it's even harder. I'm planning to hole up in my house this weekend. I'll probably go get my hair trimmed but that may very well be the only time I leave the house. I've Netflixed a 7-hour mini series and plan to watch the whole thing. I think I'll be involved in lots of sleeping this weekend, too. I've got to rest up for Monday. It's almost like starting over after they've had the first weekend off. It gets better after that.

No comments: