Monday, September 1, 2008

Things I should have done

There were lots of things I had planned to do over the long holiday weekend. I meant to do some/all of them. Really I did. Somehow, it just didn't happen.

1. Sand and prime my bathroom. Remember way back in the spring when I was planning to do this? Guess what? It's still not done!
2. Paint my bathroom (after sanding and priming it, of course).
3. Clean out and paint the empty bedroom that is going to be Elvis' room. It's just sitting there, full of junk, waiting on me to get it ready. He won't sleep in there for a looooong time because if he had a seizure during the night, I'd never know it. I do look forward to having a room to call his own, though, because we can put his stuff in there and he can hang out and watch TV in there without torturing me with repeated watchings of "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody." A girl can dream, can't she? I'm almost 41 years old and have a 5 year old roomie. We both need a little space.
4. Clean out the nasty van. There are still things in the way-back seat from the trip home from the beach...in mid-July. It's just been so hot I don't want to get back there and fool with it.
5. Spend a day without talking to anyone. I'm not usually like that but I really wanted some solitude for several consecutive hours. I spend my work days talking constantly to small children. At this point, I still have to explain everything to them and then repeat it many times before most of them can "get it." Sadly, there are some this year that might never "get it."
6. Do some online ordering that I've been putting off. I really need a couple more polo shirts and a pair of khakis for work. I know exactly where to order them from. I just haven't taken the time to go do it. I also need to order the rest of the canopy set-up that goes over my bed. (I ordered the beginnings of what I needed in May to make sure I liked it before I got the rest. I like it. I just haven't finished the order yet.)
7. Bathe my poor old stinky, itchy dog. He deserves better. All night I hear him scratching and licking. Last weekend I put some Frontline on him, hoping that it would help. It didn't. I really meant to give him a good scrub in the tub this weekend. I didn't get there.

What I did do this weekend:
1. A lot of Elvis-watching
2. I watched a movie that I chose - Smart People. It had some big name stars in it: Sarah Jessica Parker, Dennis Quaid, Ellen Page (think Juno). It was a little dull but I enjoyed it overall...at least I think I did.
3. I watched a marathon of Beverly Hills, 90210. *hangs head in shame* I did other things while I watched it but I watched several episodes today.
4. I did get a lot accomplished in my classroom this weekend. I was there every day of my long weekend. It's not exactly what I'd planned but I feel good with what I've accomplished. I almost feel caught up on that front.
5. I brought some paperwork home from school to do at home. (As a side note, I didn't actually do the paperwork but by bringing it home I feel I attempted to do it. It's better than what I'd been doing which was ignoring it and hoping it would just go away.)
6. I talked to my mom a lot. A close friend of hers died this weekend and I think she's a little freaked. My mom doesn't freak easily so I'm being as supportive as I can. The friend evidently got food poisoning from a local fast food chain. She got sick Monday night after having dinner there. She was dead by Saturday. I have to admit that freaks me out a lot, too.
7. I've watched a lot of the coverage of Hurricane Gustav. I don't know why. It's kind of like rubber-necking as you pass a car accident. I just felt the need to see it. It was kind of surreal to be having such beautiful weather here while not that far away, they were having a hurricane.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That local fast food chain is known as Taco Bell. They kill people every year or so.

Jane said...

I was trying to be diplomatic. I don't know that our local store has killed anyone else recently.

Juicebox.mom said...

I feel the same, had a long list and mostly watched the hurricane come in :-)

Also, regarding your other post where you do the "who loves elvis?". I love that, it's not conceited at all...please, I still do that with my adopted daughter and she's 12. They need to be reminded always.

Jane said...

I'm glad it's not as odd as I thought. He LOVES it! He looks forward to it every night. As soon as I look at him and take a breath, he starts laughing hysterically - even before I start by saying, "Who Loves Elvis?"