Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sleep? What's that?

I'm exhausted. Elvis has been sick again. His nose is really, really stuffy. I took a half day off on Friday to take him to see his Dr. Girlfriend. (His doctor's diagnosis? "Yep, you're snotty." Thanks, Dr. Girlfriend.) She did go ahead and give him an antibiotic because it was Friday and she knows his history with illnesses. Elvis can't sleep when his nose is stuffy. He just can't do it. I think he doesn't have that reflex or instinct or whatever it is that lets you easily switch to breathing through your mouth when your nose is stopped up. He really struggles with it. Anyway, he's miserable because he can't breathe and so am I. I never get to sleep straight through the night but I usually get a lot more sleep than I have the last several nights.

Elvis woke up a little before 4:00 this morning. He had a dirty diaper so we had to get up and deal with that...with the 1.5 wipes left in the box., but that's a different story. I got him changed and gave him a Pediasure. He wanted to go lie on Aunt Beth's bed and watch a favorite DVD. I got him settled there and dozed for about 30 minutes before he was screaming again. I put him back in my bed and he continued to fuss. I fed him his breakfast and gave him his meds. He finally went back to sleep about 7:00. And then had a seizure at 7:10. It's going to be a looooong day.

Visitation for the girls' grandmother is from 11:00 until 8:00 today. I plan to make a quick appearance with Elvis and then hit the road. We'll go back tomorrow for the funeral. Beth is working the lunch shift today and then I'm taking her to buy something to wear to the funeral, as we realized yesterday she doesn't really have anything appropriate. Somewhere in all the running, I need to go to school and get lesson materials ready for tomorrow. (I'm working in the morning but not teaching. I'm giving the district-mandated tests to some of the first graders. Then, I'm leaving at the half-day mark to get ready for the 2:00 funeral.) I have emergency lesson plans done (only because the principal made us all do them) but I hate to use them tomorrow. I'd rather save them for those days I wake up sick or with a sick Elvis and don't want to go in and write plans in my pajamas at 6:30 in the morning. I also need to make a grocery run, as we are out of things for me to make my lunch with. Won't this be a fun day on a couple hours sleep??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ah the sleepless nights. I have had many of them. I hope lil ones gets to feel better soon and everyone can rest.