Friday, January 23, 2009

6 years ago today/1 year ago today

Today is now one of those days that is a good anniversary and a bad anniversary all rolled into one. First the good:

Six years ago today, Alli arrived on my doorstep. She had nothing but the clothes on her back and a critically-ill 2 month old preemie son in NICU an hour away. Her "ten-day" stay in my home has now been over 2,000 days (but who's counting?). And, yes, there's been a lot crap along our journey but I'm still glad she came and I'm glad she's mine.

Now the bad:

One year ago today is the day that we found out Baby Blair was trying to sneak out early. Alli had gone back to work for the first time in months. I picked her up from work with a vanilla milkshake to celebrate the day. Before she even finished the shake, we were headed to the hospital. While today is not, thankfully, the anniversary of Blair's death, we all remember it as the day the trouble started.

I wasn't sure how to or even if I should acknowledge the day. In the end, I felt it should be low key, at best. The first year is usually the hardest. However, I came home from school today to find a lovely gift on my bed. Alli had gotten me a sweet card and added a sweet message of her own. She'd also gotten me a beautiful pair of earrings.

So, our bittersweet day has a little more sweet than bitter. Let's hope that trend continues!

2 comments:

momma-o-minnie said...

I remember last year as though it were yesterday. I know you do too. My prayers are with you and your girls....

Kimmah said...

good for her. Tell her I'm proud of her for thinking of you!